Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Long Trip

So, now that summer is winding down, it's time once again to make preparations for that dreaded return to school in September. In the past, that meant packing up my things over the course of a week and then dragging those things across the full length of the country. The whole trip is usually a bit depressing. The worst moment is right after getting completely settled in at my seat and realizing that I'm basically on my own glorified flying school bus. Once the flight gets underway, I forget such things and zone out to music, watch a movie, or do a crossword. Once I land, however, I remember that I'm going to school, but that means I get to see my friends, and our de facto family will reunite.

Not this year.

After spending the summer in Washington, I'll soon be traveling home for a few days before leaving for a semester in the United Kingdom.

I'll still be blogging, at about the same frequency (I hope), with new material about how the New Northwesterner lives on the far side of the Atlantic.

And while my friends settle in on their very first morning of classes, I'll be on an airplane, headed home, depressed to leave my friends but excited to see my real family for a little while.

No comments: